Union Cemetery

Union Cemetery
Click on the Image to view the Cemetery Database

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Wishes

I wish all of you who visit here because you have an interest in our history a very Merry Christmas.
I hope you all enjoy the charts that are in the posts below this one. I have been planning on making those for several years and finally got them produced. Now I am working on updating the mapping database for the cemetery and as part of that I am trying to get as much as possible of the Pipes Harmon Gray family info into my database so I can print out reports showing the families and the intermarriages etc.

It is turning out to be a bigger job than I thought. The mapping database needed to have comments added for each person telling us who they were connected to.

I was raised in small towns and communities in Michigan but then spent the rest of my adult life in large cities. I had forgotten how interconnected a small community can become and it was especially prevalent in the 19th century when travel was more restrictive and people stayed put, which resulted in marriages within the local people pool.

So I should not have been surprised when I began to discover just how much the people resting in Old Union Cemetery are related and interconnected.

It has become a real challenge to keep all the Harmons, Grays, Craines/Cranes, Calverts, Catlins, Montgomerys and all the rest straight in my head. There were so many of them by 1900 and they all used the same given names over and over. It makes my head spin sometimes.

But I am enjoying the challenge and making good progress.
I am making constant updates to the comments in the mapping database so please check them out and tell me if I have someone wrong or if you have points to make about someone please dont hesitate to let me know.
Just to be clear, I am trying to make note of people as to who they were married to or if they were a son or daughter of someone or a spouse of someone etc.

No comments: